What your new frameless glass balustrade is going to cost you is important but even more importantly, the 3 questions you have to ask your supplier are:
- How safe is your glass balustrading and will it protect those that utilise my building?
- What methods of testing do you perform to ensure the safety of your balustrades?
- Do you supply a Form 3 Engineers sign off on completion of my project?
In today’s uncertain economy, as a new home builder the likelihood that you are looking to save costs wherever you can is expected. Especially when you are having to choose architectural hardware and finishes for your new home that come in a variety of designs and prices. And as a result, you may find yourself looking at the bottom line of a quotation instead of at the contents of what you are actually getting for the price. This could leave you with a product that is not what you initially expected and could even pose as a safety risk.
The really good news, though, is that we have put together 3 simple questions that you can ask your frameless glass balustrade contractor to provide answers to. These questions will assist you in understanding the competence level of your contractor and the safety of your railing system.
How safe is your glass balustrading and will it protect those that utilise my building?
Your balustrade contractor is required by law to design and test all of his systems in consultation with a professional structural engineer and SANS deemed to satisfy rules. This ensures that all of his railings comply and are safe for their intended use.
What methods of testing do you perform to ensure the safety of your balustrades?
- According to SANS all frameless glass balustrades need to undergo a 400 Joule soft body impact test.
The below video shows an example of this test that is being performed on a frameless glass balustrade system with a stainless steel handrail:
- Moreover, the system also needs to undergo a point load and line load test.
The below video shows an example of a line load test being performed on a balustrade system:
- Not only that, but the method of fixing the balustrade to the fixing surface including the chemical anchor or cementitious grout that is being used to fix the balustrade needs to be tested for its load performance capabilities. All of these tests need to be performed in the presence of a professional structural engineer.
The below video shows how a load test is being performed on a variety of chemical anchor products to establish the performance of each product:
Do you supply a Form 3 Engineers sign off on completion of my project?
On completion of your balustrade project, your contractor needs to supply you with a Form 3. This form is a declaration by a competent person(professional structural engineer) appointed to design a component or an element of a system, from the National Building Regulations and Building Standards Act, 1977 (Act No.103 of 1977). Without this Form 3, you will not receive your occupancy certificate from your building inspector and you are not guaranteed of a balustrade system that will perform under impact
Once you have established that your balustrade contractor is qualified to manufacture and install your frameless glass balustrade system, you can then compare the quotations of those qualified contractors in order to get the best price and service.
Saving money initially on an inferior installation, could cost you a lot more than just a few rands in the long run. That’s why we encourage you to investigate elements that perform a safety function in your new home before buying a cheap product that won’t protect your family. It just might be the best investment you’ll ever make.
Here’s what our most recent customers say about Steel Studio:
- The professional attitude is exceptional. From the measurements that were taken to the finished product, everything was handled professionally and efficiently. This did not stop there. After the job had been done there was a backup and a check for any snags and if there were any it was taken care of immediately. Here’s the best part, the price. It beat every other quote and with companies that were not in business as long as Steel Studio.
S Bhana – September 2018.
- Thank you for competitive market prices and the workmanship.
Regina Mlisa – September 2018.
- The attention to detail and technical accuracy and compliance is exemplary.
Michael Russwurm – September 2018.
Call us today on 010 040 3720 for a free consultation with one of our qualified technical sales executives and rest assured with the installation of a safety tested and guaranteed frameless glass balustrade system.